Thursday, July 16

Opening Up the Old Anger.


Few months back, I received an invitation via Facebook to join this online group thing, where upon registration (for free), you'll get free access to legal discussion and law notes etc. Basically it's beneficial for students. I know this kind of forum is nothing new these days, what made me mad was the person who send this invitation to me.

When I was still in my 2nd year degree, there was this junior who wanted to borrow my 1st year's notes, on all subjects inclusive of all my assignments. Usually, I was never reluctant to lend out my notes, I mean...I don't mind it. Although later I did question myself, why I actually lend it to this junior? Plus he's a total stranger. Maybe it was the polite manner he approached me and asked me?

However, since I wouldn't need those notes anytime soon, I lend my whole stack of notes...which was done,written,researched by myself. Whether search through online, going through mulitple case laws, texts, articles...basically I'm proud to say that it's really complete.

Anyways, somehow my notes was..erm, literally passed to a 3rd party and ended up in a lecturer's hand.My college lecturer,by the way. And....this lecturer, breached my copyright of my notes. How I knew it, is another story...But not from the lender of my notes nor that lecturer. When I found out about it, I was damn pissed. I confronted that junior, who later inform that lecturer.

That lecturer subsequently called me and apologised, explaining the reason he needs those notes is for a particular online discussion thingie. I don't care if he's a lecturer, I know I sounded harsh and maybe a bit rude when we were on the phone...BUT, what can I do? I was way too PISSED!

Yea,maybe I can sue the lecturer, I can demand for some form of compensation. I can request him to remove my portion of notes from the page. BUT, who am I to do that? I was just a 2nd year student, I was not exposed to IP Law yet.

And this lecturer was the one who sent the invitation in FB to me.

Although after that incident I didn't want to think about it nor mind so much about it anymore. But to actually see that web page with my own eyes just pissed the hell out of me.

Call me stingy for not sharing my knowledge or whatever. But my perception is that knowledge is to be shared, if it was asked and given in an appropriate manner.

No comments: